1. U3A Croydon Inc recognises the importance of protecting members' privacy in relation to their personal information.
2. The purpose of this policy is to set out members' privacy rights and to document the framework that U3A Croydon Inc will apply when collecting, storing and using members' personal information.
3. This policy applies to any information collected by U3A Croydon Inc that can be used to identify an individual member. We may collect and record the following types of personal information about members:
- postal, street and/or email addresses
- telephone contact number/s
- previous profession or occupation
- skills or interests
- emergency contact details
- image (photo or video)
- other information you provide to us through member surveys or for other purposes.
4. U3A Croydon Inc will collect personal information about each member directly from the member in question. This will be done through membership and course registration processes. Approval to use a member's image/s in U3A Croydon Inc publications will be sought on the Membership Application and Membership Renewal forms; members who decline to permit use of their image will be required to opt out of U3A Croydon Inc photographs. From time to time, other information may be collected via a survey or by other methods.
5. U3A Croydon Inc collects personal information from members so that we can provide services and perform functions that are consistent with our constitution, including:
- to make classes and other activities available to members
- for communication, administrative, marketing, and planning purposes
- for program development, quality control and research purposes
- to maintain accurate and up-to-date membership records.
6. U3A Croydon Inc will:
- only collect information that is consistent with our primary purpose and constitution
- inform members of the reason why information is collected and how it is administered
- inform members that any personal information held about them is accessible to them
- take all reasonable steps to ensure that personal information held is accurate and up-to-date
- take all reasonable steps to ensure that personal information held is protected from misuse, loss and unauthorised access.
7. Members' personal information will not be shared or disclosed other than as described in this policy. Personal information will not be made available to others for direct marketing purposes.
8. U3A Croydon Inc may disclose your personal information, for purposes that are directly relevant to our constitution, to:
- volunteers, for example, tutors and members of the Committee of Management
- related organisations, for example, U3A Network Victoria Inc
- employees, contractors or service providers where it is essential to the service to be provided.
10. Members may request access to any personal information U3A Croydon Inc holds about them by contacting U3A Croydon Inc's Membership Officer who will aim to provide a suitable means of accessing the information.
11. Where a member believes that personal information held about him/her is incomplete or inaccurate the member may ask the Membership Officer to amend it.
12. Where a member believes their privacy has been breached, they should contact U3A Croydon Inc's Secretary and provide details of the incident so that it can be investigated.
13. Any questions or concerns about this policy, or a complaint regarding the treatment of personal information, should be referred to U3A Croydon Inc's Secretary.
14. U3A Croydon Inc will treat confidentially all requests or complaints lodged regarding this policy. We will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and to outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in a timely, impartial and appropriate manner.
15. U3A Croydon Inc's Committee of Management is responsible for:
- developing, adopting, implementing and publishing this policy
- collecting, storing and using members personal information in accordance with this policy
- investigating complaints about the handling of personal information
- approving access to personal information consistent with this policy
- monitoring and revising this policy as and when the need arises.
16. U3A Croydon Inc's Secretary is responsible for: receiving enquiries about this policy and complaints about a potential breach of this policy; and, for bringing a complaint before the Committee of Management for investigation and resolution.
17. U3A Croydon Inc's Membership Officer is responsible for responding to a member's request for access to the personal information held by U3A Croydon Inc about that member and for requests to correct personal information that is believed to be inaccurate or out of date.
19. This policy will be published by the Committee of Management of U3A Croydon Inc on its website within 4 weeks of the date of this authorisation.
Version Number U3A Network Victoria Policy Guideline - Privacy V.1
Endorsed by Network Policy & Planning Sub-Committee Date: 8 July 2014
Endorsed by Network Executive Committee Date: 30 October 2014